A Musical Comedy
Spencer and M17, along with SledgePro Media partner Phillipa Sledge are investors and general partners in a magical musical called SERRANO. The anchor, general partners are producer Mark Wolper and two senior EXTRA Producers, Steve Sunshine and David Geha. The director of this show is Tony nominated Joel Zwick ("My Big Fat Greek Wedding").
After 3 successful staged readings in Los Angeles and 2 in NYC, the producers plan to bring the musical comedy to New York permanently.
"Set in the mob in New York City’s Little Italy, “SERRANO, Poet, Lover …Hitman” is a musical comedy based on the French classic, “Cyrano De Bergerac.” Serrano D’Angelo is a self-taught renaissance man and the enforcer for the Reyo crime family. Don Reyo seeks Serrano’s help in educating his nephew Vinnie, a handsome, but crude and foul-mouthed young mobster. The goal is to seduce the beautiful and refined daughter of a judge who sits on a case involving the Family. If Vinnie succeeds, the judge would be compromised and have to recuse himself from the case. And the next judge in line is owned by the Don. Serrano accepts Don Reyo’s challenge only to discover that the beautiful young woman Vinnie must seduce is Rosanna with whom Serrano’s been secretly been in love all his life."
The Serrano Stage Joint Venture Creative Team:
DIRECTOR: Joel Zwick
Joel has directed theatre, film and TV for more than 40 years. Among his credits:
- THEATRE: has directed Broadway, Off Broadway and touring companies, including the musicals, “Dance With Me” (Tony Nomination); “Oklahoma,” and “Shenandoah.”
- FILM: directed “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” – highest grossing romantic comedy of all time – produced by Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. Also, “Fat Albert” with Bill Cosby and “Elvis Has Left the Building” with Kim Bassinger.
- TELEVISION: Hollywood’s most prolific director of episodic television. Has directed over 500 episodes plus 21 pilots which have gone on to become regular series. Shows include “Laverne and Shirley,” “Mork and Mindy,” “Bosom Buddies,” “Webster,” “Perfect Strangers,” “Full House,” and many more.
An all-star Broadway cast including:
- James Barbour in the title role of Serrano - James is one of musical theatre’s top leading men, appearing in numerous Broadway productions including the lead roles in “Beauty and The Beast,” “Tale Of Two Cities,” “Assassins,” “Jane Eyre” and “The Scarlet Pimpernal.”
- Jessica Rush as Rosanna – One of the most beautiful and talented actresses in theatre, Jessica is best known for her lead roles in “Guys and Dolls” and “Jersey Boys” which is currently on Broadway.
- Michael Nouri – as mob boss Don Reyo: Star of stage, screen and television, Michael is best known for starring roles in “Victor Victoria” on Broadway; “Flashdance” in film; “Damages” opposite Glenn Close on TV.
- John Schuck – as mob boss Don Malfonte:- Star of stage, screen and television, John is best known as Daddy Warbucks in the Broadway production of “Annie” and Buffalo Bill Cody opposite Bernadette Peters in “Annie Get Your Gun.”
SET DESIGNER: Anna Louizos
Anna is one of Broadway’s most sought after set designers. She’s been nominated twice for Tony Awards, most recently for the Broadway hit “In The Heights.”
COSTUME DESIGNER: Ann Roth
Considered one of the top costume designers in Broadway history, Ann has won four Tony Awards in her career - most recently for the mega-hit, “The Book of Mormon.”
BOOK AND LYRICS – Madeline Sunshine (2015 Ovation Award nominee)
- LYRICIST: songs for “Sesame Street,” theme songs for TV series including “Webster,” and “The People Next Door.” Pop songs recorded by Dr. John, Paul Anka, Janie Frickie, many others.
- TELEVISION: Writer/Producer and show runner for the hit TV series “Webster,” “The People Next Door” and “The Julie Andrews Show.”
- FILM: Screenwriter: “Say Nothing,” starring William Baldwin and Nastassja Kinski; Co-Writer with Blake Edwards, “Son of the Pink Panther,” starring Roberto Benigni.
- AUTHOR: Books for children for “Sesame Street,” “Golden Books,” “Scholastic” and “Harper and Row;” young Adult novels for “Scholastic” and “Bantam.”
COMPOSER - Robert Tepper
- SONGWRITER: Wrote hits for many artists including Pat Benatar, Australia superstar Russell Morris, Danny Tate, Paul Anka, and the mega hit “Into The Night” which garnered him a Grammy nomination. Most recently Usher has picked up one of Robert’s songs for his new album.
- SONGS FOR FILM and TV including “Rocky IV,” “Say Nothing,” and many others.
- AS PRODUCER AND MIXER has worked with some of the top producers including Joe Chicarilli (Elton John, Frank Zappa, U2), and collaborated with some of the biggest hit makers including Jeff Silbar (“Wind Beneath My Wings,” and Steve Pocaro from Toto.) In addition Robert has released two albums of his own and was the lead singer for the revamped Iron Butterfly.
MUSICAL DIRECTOR - Jeff Rizzo
Jeff has been the musical director and conductor for dozens of theatrical productions,\a – from Broadway, to touring companies to regional theatres throughout the country and around the world. Among his many credits are “The Wizard of Oz,” “Dream Girls,” “Annie,” “42nd St.” and “Godspell.”
MANAGEMENT AND LEGAL TEAM
General Managers: Martian Entertainment: One of the leading firms providing producing and general management services for Broadway productions, Martian currently has 3 shows on Broadway: “The Best Man,” “The Normal Heart” and “Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.” Martian partners Carl White and Lauren Yates are both actively involved with “Serrano.” Legal Services – Jason Baruch of “Sendroff and Baruch:” Sendroff and Baruch is the top theatrical law firm in NY. Partner Jason Baruch has personally been involved with dozens of Broadway shows, most recently the mega-hit “The Book of Mormon.”
SERRANO Stage Play Producer Mark Wolper, Spencer Proffer, Director Joel Zwick and Producer Phillipa Sledge celebrate workshops in NYC.